Friday, June 18, 2010

Internet

I do not have an iPhone or any other smart phone. But I am the exact type of person who either should (because I’m online all the time and an iPhone would simplify my dependence on the internet) or should not have an iPhone (because I’ll be so addicted to it and become one of those people who can’t function without their phone). At home in the US, I’ve managed just fine having friends with iPhones. But here in Ghana, I don’t even have that! So, you can just imagine how hard it has been for me to be without a reliable source of internet. I don’t know what’s going on in the world anymore because I don’t have the New York Times, Google Reader or Google Buzz at my finger tips anymore. I am not glued to Facebook as I look through albums of pictures at a time. I am not watching tons of dance videos, especially Kyle Hanagami’s choreography, on Youtube. My usual less than 24 hr email turnaround time has been extended indefinitely. I still have not seen the Glee finale and have no idea what’s going on with the NBA finals. Who’s winning-- the Celtics or Lakers? What game are we on?

Coming to terms with being disconnected has been tough and trying to overcome it has been even harder. A graphical representation of my internet happiness looks like a boring rollercoaster—great anticipation only to be disappointed by several bumps.



So to everyone who might be waiting for an e-mail response from me, I’m so sorry!

Have I become a more effective and efficient person since I don’t have the internet to distract me from life? It’s hard to tell… If it weren’t for the excitement of the World Cup and being able to watch the games, what would I do with my free time!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment