Saturday, July 10, 2010

Calling All Fashionistas!

A popular thing for tourists to do when they come to Ghana is to buy beautiful cloth and ask a tailor to make some custom clothing. Yesterday (July 9), Charlotte (UMich Med School) and I ventured out into Kumasi to do just that.

You can find cloth almost anywhere around Kumasi like at the famous Kejetia Market (largest open market in West Africa). However, you can never be too sure about the quality of the cloth purchased from the streets. Charlotte and I went to two boutiques just off of Kejetia Market near Prempeh II Road called Da Viva and Woodin. The cloth at both shops are beautiful!

The next step is to find pictures or make drawings that specifically detail how I want the tailor to transform these beautiful piece of cloth into tops, skirts, or dresses. Generally, you will need about 1-2 yards to make a top, and 3-4 yards to make a dress.





In the US, I benefit from the fashion keen eyes of my friends and sister to help me purchase clothing. Here's where I need everyone's help! Above are pictures of the cloth that I've purchased. If y'all can send me picture suggestions of tops or dresses that can be fashioned out of these prints, that'd be wonderful! If y'all also would like me to go out and purchase cloth and get something made for you, I can do that too!

No comments:

Post a Comment